Letter to Superintendents 2020
The Dee Howard Foundation is an organization dedicated to fostering aviation and aerospace in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (S.T.E.M.) in Pre-K through 12 education programs primarily in schools in the greater San Antonio area whose students are from underserved areas of our community. This year, we have expanded eligibility. Schools of any level (elementary/middle/secondary) with high-need students in Bexar County are eligible to submit nominations for the 2020 SEEA.
In the spirit of supporting those on the “front lines” of S.T.E.M. education, we request your assistance in distributing this letter and the other information we will forward to you concerning the SEEA to the principal of each school in your district that meets the criteria below. The principal of each qualifying school may submit one nomination for the 2020 SEEA. The nominee must:
- 1) Be an individual who excels at teaching or overseeing the S.T.E.M. curriculum in the qualifying school, and;
- 2) Should exhibit the character traits consistent with a respected educator in the community.
Should a nominee from your school district be selected by The Dee Howard Foundation (DHF) as this year’s Honoree, the Honoree, the Honoree’s school, and your school district will receive the following benefits:
- 1) The Honoree will be announced in January 2020 and the SEEA will be presented to the Honoree at the San Antonio Aviation and Aerospace Hall of Fame 2020 Awards Dinner to be held on 26 March 2020 at the GDC Technics Hangar at Port San Antonio. For details about the 2020 Hall of Fame we invite you to visit the event page on this website;
- 2) The Honoree’s name will appear in the 2020 Hall of Fame program brochure, and their photograph and biography will be posted on The Dee Howard Foundation website;
- 3) The Honoree will be presented with a framed certificate during the 2020 Hall of Fame Awards Dinner;
- 4) A table of 10 will be reserved at the 2020 Hall of Fame, and seated at that table will be the Honoree, the principal from the Honoree’s school, the superintendent of the school district of the Honoree or their designated representative, and students from the Honoree’s school;
- 5) The Dee Howard Foundation will award a grant of $1,000.00 for use by the Honoree’s school as mutually agreed between DHF and the Honoree’s school to further aeronautical STEM education at the Honoree’s school; and
- 6) The Honoree will be added to The Dee Howard Foundation School Network to be included in all DHF School Network mailings and be eligible to participate in other designated program activities.
To nominate an educator, the principal of the school should complete the attached nomination form, and compile a formal letter of recommendation on official school letterhead, then return the package to:
The Honoree will be presented with a framed certificate during the 2019 Hall of Fame Awards Dinner;
Dr. W. Sean Kearney, Chair, SEEA Selection Committee, via email.
Nominations must be received by December 1, 2019 to be eligible for the award. If you have any questions concerning the event, the SEEA, or the nomination process, please email or call Sean Kearney at (210) 784-2528.
We thank you and all of the members of the team in your school district for the great work you are doing to provide the young men and women in our community with the confidence and skills to be successful in an increasingly technological world. We look forward to receiving nominations from the principals of qualifying schools in your district, and to providing well-deserved recognition to S.T.E.M. educators in the greater San Antonio area.
W. Sean Kearney
Chair, SEEA Selection Committee